Thursday, January 20, 2011

A dilemma

I have a dilemma (more like a difficult weighty decision) and I’m finding it hard to deal with. My dog Bo, has cancer. The vet called it mast cell cancer.  From what I've read his chances are middle of the road based on where the cancer is located. So we are taking him to the vet tomorrow to have blood-work and x-rays done.  My understanding is that from this they will be able to tell if surgery will cure his cancer or if he will need further treatment. The vet mentioned chemo/radiation.
My problem is two-fold: 1) this is going to be expensive ($1,000 for surgery) and I don’t exactly have a couple grand lying around that I can fork over for this and 2) is it right to subject a dog to chemo/radiation?

I’m willing to find a way to make this happen but unless this surgery is a cure I’m not sure that I want to it.  A dog isn’t going to understand that chemo and/or radiation will help him, what will his quality of life be?  Dogs live in the moment (thanks dog whisperer!) and all he will know is the pain that is chemo.  Not to mention the cost factor of chemo, the vet said it would be very pricey.

So I will be waiting to hear from the vet to see if surgery will be a cure or not.  From there I guess we shall see….

No comments: