Monday, December 20, 2010

It's Christmas Time or as some of us call it X-mas!

Count your blessing folks! It is so easy to get wrapped up (no pun intended) in the gifts and what to get for whom. Don't lose sight of the reason for the season. Cherish your family and friends, without them you would have nothing. This is a special time of year meant for spending time with those who mean the most to you.

On another note, there was a little bit of drama in my office last week having to do with a fellow co-worker using X-mas instead of Christmas. Some people took offense to this. I would like to point out that X-mas is perfectly acceptable to use, as it has it's roots in Christ's name. X is the Greek letter for Chi which is the first part of the Greek word for Christ. For an explanation click here.
Of course everyone is entitled to their own feelings about this, but I thought I would float that out there for consideration. I would also like to point out that most people do not use X-mas as a way to deride Christmas and Christ. It is an abbreviation, generally speaking this is not malicious or a way of 'crushing' the Christians as was claimed by a co-worker the other day.

There are many symbols in Christianity, and generally I believe that we should have respect for others and their beliefs. WE should not be so quick to jump on others because they MAY have said or done something that doesn't quite jive with what we believe.


P.S. Since I could not say anything at work I will say it here......Grow up and stop being so sensitive.

No comments: