Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Diane Arbus

"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you, the less you know." ~ Diane Arbus

I once wrote a term papber about Diane Arbus. We were allowed to pick any topic and my Dad had just introduced me to her work. I don't know why but her work made an impact. She was a strange person, and I don't mean that in a bad way. If you look at her photographs you can see. She took pictures of 'deviant' people- dwarves, giants, transvestites, nudists, circus performs, etc. I wouldn't necessary call her subjects deviant so much as people who sometimes live on the fringe of society.

Here are a few of my favorites of hers:





The top two photos I like because in the first one, whatever is going on here looks absolutely hysterical. In the second one I can only imagine what the Disney Land castle looked like when she took that photo.


















The twins creep me out, particularly the one on the left. I wonder who they are....
The lady with the dog is neat, for one thing there is the possibility that this is a man. I don't think it is but with Arbus it's hard to tell sometimes. I love her pose, it's so out of place for the room... and that carpet is just wild.

This kid.... the only thing I can say is awesome!






























No comments: